Monday, January 31, 2005

Perhaps the most exciting journey in my life

Having traveled to over 60 countries, it is easy to imagine that I was lucky enough to experience quite few exciting journeys in different parts of this world.

Well, the journey which I have been embarking on today is indeed special, it is the exciting adventure of authoring my first book which I am determined to complete this Spring only.

The Book Title will most likely be "The Groupness Factor" plus some subtitle I am not sure about yet. It will be an unusual book about leadership for several reasons. First, I discovered the key concept of groupness in a book which has basically nothing to do with leadership. It is in fact a book about the effects of different rearing styles applied on children. While reading about the concept of groupness it struck me like a lightening! I realized that groupness is so very present in our adult life and we are simply not aware of it.

What I found is that first-class leaders subconsciously create groupness in a productive way while less effective leaders either let groupness happen randomly with a big risk of being unproductve or unconsciously distroy existing positive groupness.

Ever since I read about this concept, I am greatly amazed that - to my knowledge - no-one ever came up with this concept to be applied to leadership development. And yet it is so obvious, once you are aware, that making proper use of the groupness factor can make a huge difference in any organization.

Besides my own corporate experience and experience in coaching executives, I will use other trustable research results to further validate my findings. I also plan to give a clear description of what it takes to achieve successful change, knowing that understanding it and doing it certainly are of different qualities.

My target is to complete the first manuscript by mid-February, then get it edited and critically read by 5-10 test readers. Using their feedback, I'll work on an improved version which I hope to get ready by mid March 05. Then I hope there will be only some fine-tuning left so that I could go for publishing in April 05.

With a little luck, I'll have my first own book in my hands by the end of April 05.

Let's keep the fingers crossed that I will achieve my ambitious goal. The journey has begun! Contact me if you want to join me.

No comments: